Tuesday, November 11, 2008

11-11

Last week on Wednesday we attended the full military funeral of my husband's grandfather--Grandpa Marvin. While the Army veterans played "Taps", my son Quentin (7) stood in salute the whole time. I couldn't help wondering why he would do that. What innate obligation did he feel? While it was somehow sweet and endearing and drew the attention of the Army soldiers (much to Quentin's excitement), I couldn't help being concerned for his obsession with "Army guys". My thoughts flew to the future. Would HE some day want to join the Army?

Today, almost a week later, as I'm hearing and seeing the "Star Spangled Banner" and "Taps" being played over and over today, I am overcome with emotion. I'm sure I'm not alone. The fears of military service that I hold for my sons are the reality of so many mothers past and present. I'm not sure that I fully understand my emotions today but I am in touch with the fact that while Quentin was saluting at his Great Grandfather's funeral, I was more than fearful--I was proud. So maybe today for the first time my eyes have been opened in a different way to Veteran's day. My grandfathers are both veterans, my father, my husband's father, several of my cousins, my uncles...I'm proud to say that.
For them and all other Veterans past AND future--Thank you.

No comments: